brideclick 2

Guest Desserts: Long-Distance Baby Shower

Today's Guest Desserts feature comes from Oslo by way of San Francisco. Even though Truc Luu of Treats lives in California and works in Finance at Gap, Inc., it's obvious she has a creative side as well. Inspired by some of my designs, the party invite, and some brown and pink ribbon, she set out to create a dessert table for her friend's baby shower in Norway.
According to Truc, baby showers are an emerging trend in Norway. Many Norwegians believe it's bad luck to give a baby gifts before birth. In this case, mom-to-be Elin didn't put too much stock in the superstition.

To ensure a picture perfect creation, Truc enlisted the help of some talented friends. Her Gap, Inc. co-worker, Michelle Padilla of NM Designs created the candy and dessert labels, while friend Anne-Marie Rabe photographed the design.

Truc made most of the desserts, including the cake layers, in San Francisco and shipped them in three checked suitcases during her trip to Oslo. Elin's friend Silja worked with Truc to make the cupcakes, brownies, and macarons once she landed in Oslo.
I love this color palette, and the crisp, white plates really pop against the dark brown tabletop. I think it's amazing that Truc was able to plan and execute this design from thousands of miles away, and I can't wait to see the designs she creates in the future.

Truc asked for some feedback about her design, because she plans to create another table for the baby's Christening. With so many family members and friends spread all across the country, and even the world, it's just a matter of time before all of you aspiring dessert table designers find yourselves creating your own long distance design. So, I thought I'd provide a few general tips as well.

1) Send pictures, measurements, and color swatches to any of your faraway collaborators to be sure that you're all on the same page. When I designed this table for Nonpareil Magazine, I worked with French miniaturist Stephanie Kilgast of Petit Plat via email to make sure that her miniature dessert table was a perfect replica of the full-sized Alice in Wonderland design I created. 

2) Make sure you get a full, straight-on shot of the entire table. It will be an invaluable addition to your portfolio. You might have to move some furniture to get a wide enough shot of the design, so arrive early to set up and take the shots. Replace everything to its proper position, and be careful not to break anything.

3) Have a backup plan in place in case some of your platters and dishes break or your luggage is lost during the trip. It may be difficult to find replacements once you get to your destination.

4) Be sure to wipe plates to remove any chocolate smudges and use a pastry brush to remove crumbs from hard-to-reach places. Check the tabletop for any spilled sugar or debris prior to taking your photo. I know it sounds nit-picky, but your clients will expect you to be a perfectionist with an eye for detail. Your portfolio will benefit from your precision.

Do you have a dessert table, recipe, or DIY project to share? Visit the Submissions page.

3 comments:

Rowaida said...

Cute table love the cookie favors. Thank you for your general tips! Wish you great success.

Cammi at Cammi Lee Events said...

oh my! this is gorgeous! It's hard to believe so many of the details {and goodies} were thrown together for a shower that was held so far away!! Very cute! I would love to feature this on my blog in the coming weeks! I'll be sure to link back to your blog for the credit!

Cammi
CK Events
http://simplystunningideas.blogspot.com

Marcila Dare said...

Goodness gracious! It looks so yummy! I want to have that for my baby shower, too! But I can't have too many sweets right now. I've had a couple of cavities in my teeth and my dentist would be mad at me if I don't follow his instructions. Hehe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...